The holidays are a time to spend building snowmen, drinking hot cocoa, making family favorites, and enjoying quality time surrounded by family and friends. All around the country, different traditions make up our holiday season. Maybe it’s a family hanging ornaments on their Christmas tree, or lighting the first candle on a menorah for Hanukkah. There are funky Christmas sweaters, cookie or gift exchanges, and children waiting in line to sit on Santa’s lap. No matter what traditions you keep, the holiday season is a time to be grateful and cherish all of your loved ones. It should also be a time to remember and and be thankful for the men and women who have served this country to ensure that you are free and safe to celebrate.
While you celebrate with your families, there are men and women fighting for our country, far away from their loved ones. Those brave men and women who return home deserve the support that we have the potential to provide them with. Not only do they need and deserve our support, but their families do as well. It may only be one member of a family who has served our country, but the transition back home has an affect on everyone.
How can you help? There are many, many different ways to get involved and help show your love and support for our veterans and their families this holiday season. Here are a few examples:
- Send a care package
- You can send packages to current military members, veterans, and caregivers
- Send a letter
- Handwritten letters of gratitude go a long way to make someone feel loved and appreciated. It also can serves as a way to connect them back to civilian life
- Donate frequent flier miles
- This can help family members be close during the hospitalization of combat injured (or ill) veterans if they don’t have the means to do so
- Volunteer to place wreaths on the graves of servicemen and women
- There are over 1,200 locations around the country where you can participate in this. You can find some opportunities here.
- Visit patients in a local VA hospital. You can locate one here.
- Support military families
- Offer to bring a home cooked meal, offer to babysit if that is an option, a simple thank you can mean so much
Without our veterans and current service members bravery and dedication to this country we may not be able to enjoy our holiday traditions. The Purple Heart Foundation would like to wish all of our veterans and their families a happy and safe holiday season.
We understand and are unbelievably grateful for the brave men and women who serve this country. They have done their part and now we need to do ours. Here at the Purple Heart Foundation we are committed to honoring all of our heroes. It is our goal to make the transition from the battlefield to the home front a smooth one for all of our men and women in uniform who defend our freedom and their families. Show your support this holiday season by making a one-time or monthly pledge to make sure they continue to receive the support and benefits they deserve.